First Baptist Church
141 St. James Avenue
Centered on the Savior … Together Standing in His Will!
The Bible tells us to make a joyful noise unto the Lord! What a wonderful way singing is to praise our Creator, and show our gratitude for all that He has done for us. Singing can bring us into God's presence. Singing can bring us hope, comfort, peace, and joy. Let us never stop singing and praising God until the day when all believers will sing together before the very throne of God!
Recognizing the importance of worship in the life of the believer, we offer a joyful uplifting worship that utilizes both contemporary and traditional praise styles in a unique and beautiful blend with the emphasis upon personal encounter with Jesus as Savior and most precious Lord. The church employs a worship choir ministry as well a praise leadership ministry in order to achieve this moving, energetic balance of both the new and the familiar . We believe that true worship is more than a Sunday morning activity, but that it is the believer’s response to God’s gracious, loving claims upon his or her life. This includes the joy of employing their God given gifts to advance the cause of Christ through our Church. For this reason we use worship time to inform and encourage the congregation about the many opportunities to learn, serve and fellowship afforded by our Church.
You alone are the LORD. You made the heavens, even the highest heavens, and all their starry host, the earth and all that is on it, the seas and all that is in them. You give life to everything, and the multitudes of heaven worship you.
Psalm 100:1-2 - Shout for joy to the Lord, all the earth. Worship the Lord with gladness; come before Him with joyful songs. (NIV)
Ephesians 5:18b-19 - Be filled with the Spirit. Speak to one another with psalms, hymns and spiritual songs. Sing and make music in your heart to the Lord. (NIV)
Psalm 146:2 - I will praise the Lord all of my life; I will sing praise to my God as long as I live. (NIV)
"Praise to the Lord, the Almighty"
Praise to the Lord, the Almighty, the King of creation!
O my soul, praise Him, for He is thy health and salvation!
All ye who hear, now to His temple draw near;
Praise Him in glad adoration.
Praise to the Lord, who o’er all things so wondrously reigneth,
Shelters thee under His wings, yea, so gently sustaineth!
Hast thou not seen how thy desires e’er have been
Granted in what He ordaineth?
Praise to the Lord, who hath fearfully, wondrously, made thee;
Health hath vouchsafed and, when heedlessly falling, hath stayed thee.
What need or grief ever hath failed of relief?
Wings of His mercy did shade thee.
Praise to the Lord, who doth prosper thy work and defend thee;
Surely His goodness and mercy here daily attend thee.
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do,
If with His love He befriend thee.
Praise to the Lord, who, when tempests their warfare are waging,
Who, when the elements madly around thee are raging,
Biddeth them cease, turneth their fury to peace,
Whirlwinds and waters assuaging.
Praise to the Lord, who, when darkness of sin is abounding,
Who, when the godless do triumph, all virtue confounding,
Sheddeth His light, chaseth the horrors of night,
Saints with His mercy surrounding.
Praise to the Lord, O let all that is in me adore Him!
All that hath life and breath, come now with praises before Him.
Let the Amen sound from His people again,
Gladly for aye we adore Him.
31 Ways to Praise: Creating A Vocabulary of Praise
by Bob Hostetler
Whether you adopt or adapt the following, or compose a praise program of your own, I pray that this suggested "praise program" may help your praise ascend plentifully and purposefully to God in ways that will make the angels blush with envy!
1. God the Creator "Creator God, I praise you because you made the heavens, even the highest heavens, and all their starry host, the earth and all that is on it, the seas and all that is in them. You give life to everything, and the multitudes of heaven worship you'. . . . " (Nehemiah 9:6).
2. The Only God "God, I praise you because you are the LORD, and there is no other; apart from you there is no God. . . ." (Isaiah 45:5).
3. The Almighty God "O LORD God Almighty, who is like you? You are mighty, O LORD," and I praise you . . . ." (Psalm 89:8).
4. The Everlasting Father, the Ancient of Days "I praise you, Lord, as the Ancient of Days (Daniel 7:9), the Everlasting Father (Isaiah 9:6), who lives forever and ever. . . ."
5. A Loving God "I praise you because you are a loving God, whose very nature is love. . . ." (1 John 4:16).
6. A God of Justice "Lord, I praise and magnify you, who is just and the one who justifies those who have faith in Jesus. . . ." (Romans 3:26).
7. The Trustworthy God "Heavenly Father, I give you my praise and adoration, because you are a "faithful God, keeping [your] covenant of love to a thousand generations of those who love [you] and keep [your] commands. . . ." (Deuteronomy 7:9).
8. A Merciful God "You, O Lord, are a gracious and merciful God," (Nehemiah 9:31), and I praise you for your great mercy. . . ."
9. God my Refuge, my Fortress "I praise you, Lord, for you are my mighty rock, my refuge. . . .'" (Psalm 62:7).
10. A Longsuffering, Persevering God "Father, I praise you because you are patient with [all your children], not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance' (2 Peter 3:9). Thank you for your patience with me. . . ."
11. The Only Wise God "I give praise to you, my Father, the only wise God [my] Saviour' (Jude 1:25). May all glory and majesty, dominion and power, be yours both now and ever. . . ."
12. The Holy One "Holy, holy, holy are you, Lord God Almighty, who was, and is, and is to come. . . ." (Revelation 4:8).
13. A Personal God "I praise you, God, because you are a personal God, who gives me the honor of knowing you personally, just like you did to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. . . ." (Matthew 8:11).
14. A Giving God "Praise and honor be yours, O God, because you are a generous God, who did not even stop short of giving your own Son (John 3:16). . . ."
15. The Provider God "I praise you today, Lord, as my Jehovah-jireh, who will generously provide all [I] need'. . . ." (2 Corinthians 9:7).
16. The Shepherd God "I bless your name and praise you as my Jehovah-rohi, who will shepherd me and guide me in the paths of righteousness for your name's sake" (Psalm 23:1-3).
17. God my Victory "Praise to you, my God, because you are my Jehovah-nissi, God my victory, who always leads [me] in triumphal procession in Christ'. . . ." (2 Corinthians 2:14).
18. God my Peace "I praise you with all my heart, Lord, because you are my Jehovah-shalom, the God of peace [who] will soon crush Satan under [my] feet. . . ." (Romans 16:20).
19. The God Who Heals "Father, I praise you because you are the Lord who heals me. . . ." (Exodus 15:26).
20. The God of All Comfort "Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort. . . ." (2 Corinthians 1:3).
21. The God of Miracles "Lord, I praise you because You are the God who performs miracles; you display your power among the people'. . . ." (Psalm 77:14).
22. A Forgiving God "I want to bless you with my praise, Father, because you are a forgiving God, gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and abounding in love'. . . ." (Nehemiah 9:17)
23. The Burden-Bearer "Praise be to the LORD, to God [my] Savior, who daily bears [my] burdens'. . . .”(Psalm 68:19).
24. A Faithful God "I praise you because your love, O LORD, reaches to the heavens, your faithfulness to the skies'. . . Great is your faithfulness'. . . ." (Psalm 36:5; Lamentations 3:23).
25. God the Blessed and Only Ruler, King of kings and Lord of lords "All honor and praise be to you, my God, the blessed and only Ruler, the King of kings and Lord of lords'. . . ." (1 Timothy 6:15).
26. God the Liberator "I praise you because You are my help and my deliverer; O LORD'. . . ." (Psalm 70:5).
27. The Lifter of My Head "Father God, I praise you because you are a shield around me, O LORD; you bestow glory on me and lift up my head' when I am weary or depressed. . . ." (Psalm 3:3).
28. A God of Light "I praise you, Lord, because you are my light and my salvation,' and because you know what lies in darkness, and light dwells with you'. . . ." (Psalm 27:1, Daniel 2:22).
29. A God of Joy "I give you my praise, O Lord, because you have granted [me] eternal blessings and made me glad with the joy of your presence'. . . ." (Psalm 21:6).
30. The God Who Answers Prayer "I praise and honor you, Father, because you are a God who loves to answer prayer, and who begins to answer even before I begin to pray" (Isaiah 65:24).
31. The God of All the Earth "I praise and adore you, Lord, as the Holy One of Israel. . . [my] Redeemer. . . the God of all the earth'. . . ." (Isaiah 54:5).
It may seem simple, but this "praise program" has energized my "praise life," helping me to praise God more knowledgeably and purposefully in prayer. It has also enlarged my vision and awareness of the praiseworthy God I love and serve and, I believe, increased the evidence of his godly character in my life. My prayer is that it may begin to do the same for you as well.
Bob Hostetler has co-authored many books with Josh McDowell and is an award-winning writer who lives in Hamilton, Ohio. His books include the best-selling Right From Wrong and They Call Me A.W.O.L.